Animal Control
About Our Department & Services -

The Matthews Police Department Animal Services Unit consists of one full time civilian Animal Services Technician, primarily available during normal business hours. When unavailable, the Police Patrol Division, as well as Charlotte-Mecklenburg Animal Care and Control, assist in providing 24-hour emergency animal services. For all services, call (704) 847-5555.
The Animal Services Unit encourages and assists owners with responsible pet ownership, resolves issues when they arise, and educates the community about peacefully co-existing with the wildlife that is abundant in our area.
Animal Services Registration -

All dogs, cats and ferrets four months of age or older inside the city limits of Matthews must be vaccinated for rabies as well as possess a current Town of Matthews Animal License. A one-year Animal License is $10 for sterile (spayed or neutered) animals and $30 for fertile animals. Failure to properly license your animals could result in a $50+ citation per animal. (See our complete Ordinance 91A-41)
In order to properly process your license application or to obtain an Animal License, you must present proof of a current rabies vaccination for each pet to be licensed. If you do not have a copy of your pet's Rabies Certificate that you received when the vaccination was given, you may be able to get an copy from the veterinarian that performed the vaccination. To receive the Animal License rate for sterile animals you must also present proof from a veterinarian that your animal has been spayed or neutered.
Registering Your Pet - 
   You can complete & print a Town of Matthews  
Animal License Application here:

You can complete & pay for your
pet licenses on-line here:

Check for Adoptable or Lost Pets - 
 Adoptable Pets -  Click on your location below to learn about some adoptable pets!

       Matthews        Charlotte       Union County

 Lost Pets -  Either click on the Mecklenburg County listing site below or call us at (704) 847-5555.


            Mecklenburg County Listing of Lost Pets

* Public Safety Advisory on Rabies *

Rabies is a deadly viral disease affecting the central nervous system that lives in the saliva. Rabies can be prevented but not cured. An animal or human can get rabies when bitten, licked or scratched by a sick animal. Fortunately, by taking a few simple precautions, it is easy to prevent rabies.
  • Make sure your pets are up-to-date on their rabies vaccinations. Dogs, cats and ferrets are required to have a current rabies vaccination. Your pets should always wear their rabies vaccination and license tags.
  • Puppies and kittens that have not been vaccinated should not be left outdoors unsupervised.
  • Obey leash laws and keep your pets restrained.
  • Report stray animals to Animal Control at 704-847-5555.
  • Teach your children to stay away from animals they do not know. Even a rabid wild animal may act tame.
  • If raccoons or other animals are lurking around your yard and acting sick or abnormal, call Animal Control.
  • Avoid attracting or handling wild animals.
  • Feed your pets indoors. Do not toss table scraps into your yard. Do not leave pet food outside.
  • Keep your property free of exposed garbage, pet food and bird feed. If trash must be stored outside at night, put it in sturdy tightly closed containers.
  • Keep your home in good repair to prevent animals from entering through cracks and crevices. Use strong metal mesh to cover potential entryways such as chimneys, dryer vents and holes in eaves.
  • If you find a bat in your home, call Animal Control, your physician and the Health Department. Even minimal contact with bats may result in rabies transmission.
  • If you are disposing of a wild animal, wear gloves and use a shovel. Avoid direct contact.
  • Do not touch an injured animal, call Animal Control.
  • Stay away from animal traps and storm drains. Wild animals may travel through storm drains.
There is no easy test for rabies. If you are bitten or scratched by an animal, follow these guidelines:
  • Wash all wounds and contact areas thoroughly with soap and water.
  • Contact your physician.
  • Call Animal Control to report the incident at 704-847-5555. North Carolina law requires animal bites to be reported by the person bitten, the owner of the biting animal and the physician who first treats the bite victim.
  • Telephone the Health Department at 704-336-6440.
  • If no risk of further injury, isolate the animal until Animal Control arrives to investigate.
If an animal attacks your pet, follow these guidelines:
  • Put on gloves before touching your pet.
  • Isolate your pet.
  • Call your veterinarian. Your pet may need a rabies booster shot immediately.
  • Call Animal Control at 704-847-5555.