Animal License

Animal Control is a public safety function that falls under the Police Department. They assist the public with abandoned or dangerous animals, nuisance complaints, etc. and ensuring that all dogs and cats have their current rabies shots. A Town tag, which may be purchased at Town Hall, is required for each pet. Renewals may be obtained thru PetData or at Town Hall.


Privilege License

A privilege license allows officials to know who is conducting business in the town, as well as the location and type of business. This assists Town officials in ensuring a business is located in an area that is properly zoned and ensures that the business has adequate access to basic Town services. Business owners within the town limits of the Town of Matthews are subject to the privilege license requirements set forth in the Town's Code of Ordinances. The North Carolina General Assembly through Schedule B of the Revenue Act and the Town of Matthews through its Town Code have authorized this requirement. 

Unless specifically exempt under state law, a privilege license is required for anyone who:

  • Maintains a business location within Town of Matthews limits

Separate licenses may be required if there is more than one type of business.

Licensing Period

A Town of Matthews business privilege license must be purchased annually and is issued for a one year period that begins June 1 and ends May 30 of the following year. New businesses are required to obtain a privilege license prior to conducting any business within the Town limits. A privilege license must be renewed no later than May 30 of each year.

Privilege License Fees

Unless regulated or exempted by state statutes or regulated by the Town of Matthews Privilege License Ordinance, all businesses privilege license tax will be based on prior year gross receipts, subject to the minimum of $25. License tax schedules are located in the Town of Matthews Privilege License Ordinance.

Privilege License Penalties

It is the responsibility of each individual to determine whether the business he or she conducts is taxed under the Town ordinance and whether that tax has been paid for the current year. No person or business entity conducting business within the town limits of the Town of Matthews shall do so without first obtaining a privilege license and paying the appropriate fee(s). Any business conducting business activity within the town limits of the Town of Matthews without a license shall be liable for up to three years of back (unpaid) business license taxes and shall be subject to a penalty of 5 percent of the annual license tax for each month that the business operates without a license, up to a maximum of 25 percent per annum.

Applying for a Privilege License

Access the privilege license application.

You may also pick up a copy in the Finance Office at Town Hall, 232 Matthews Station Street or call 704-847-4411. Applications may be submitted between the hours of 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday. All new businesses are required to contact the Finance Office to ensure all requirements have been met for issuance of a privilege license.

If your business is home based please contact the LUESA Office, 704-432-2520, or call 311 from within Mecklenburg County, at 700 North Tryon Street, Charlotte (Hal Marshall Center) to obtain a Change of Use Permit. This is a requirement for Mecklenburg County and the permit should be submitted with your application for a Town privilege license.

Offices to Contact When Starting a New Business

When starting a new business the applicant MUST contact the following offices prior to issuing a business license for the reason stated.

In addition new business owners SHOULD contact the following offices for the reason(s) stated.



Register of Deeds

720 East Fourth Street



To register an assumed name. (GS 66-68) (Must be done in person).

NC Department of Revenue

500 West Trade Street



To obtain a state sales tax number for the purpose of tracking sales tax.

Business Listing Department

700 East Stonewall Street (2nd floor)



All businesses must list property for personal property tax in January of each year.

Environmental Protection

700 North Tryon Street (2nd floor)


To ensure business is in compliance with state law and local ordinances. (Painters, pressure washing, mobile auto detailing and car washing, carpet cleaning, restoration, lawn care, pushcarts and carnivals).


Internal Revenue Service

(800)829-1040 or (800)829-3676


To obtain Federal ID number.


Mecklenburg Fire Marshals Office

700 North Tryon Street (Basement)



Businesses need fire inspection to assure compliance with fire codes.

Matthews Police Department

1201 Crews Road


To register alarms and to provide contact information for emergency situations.



This list was developed by the Town of Matthews Finance Department. It is a guide and does not represent an exhaustive list. It is the responsibility of the business owner to carefully investigate the regulations that affect your type of business.

For assistance in determining your privilege license requirements, please contact Lindsey Wiggs at 704-708-1238 or email

Beer and Wine License

If you are in the business of selling beer and wine, you must first obtain a permit from the Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission (ABC). After obtaining this permit, you must apply for a beer and wine business privilege license from the Town of Matthews. The Finance Department must view actual permits prior to issuing local Beer/Wine License.

Alcohol Law Enforcement (ALE)

500 West Trade Street


Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission (ABC)


Licensing Period

The license to sell beer and wine must be purchased annually. The business year for beer and wine business privilege licenses begins on May 1, and ends April 30 of the following year.  A license to sell beer and wine must be renewed no later than May 1 of each year.

Beer and Wine Business Privilege License Fees

The fee for On-Premises licenses (example: restaurants or lounges) is $30.

The fee for Off-Premises licenses (example: conv. or grocery store) is $15.

Cessation of Operations

North Carolina General Statute §105-366(d)(1)(a) requires notification to the Tax Collector 48 hours prior to going out of business or the transfer of or pending sale to another party. Businesses are requested to complete the Cessation of Operations form and submit to the Finance Department at 232 Matthews Station S., Matthews, NC  28105.

Garage / Yard Sales

The Town of Matthews does not permit garage or yard sale signs offsite. No permit or application is required.

Peddler or Solicitor Permit/License

Peddlers and Solicitors/Canvassers must apply for a license with the Town of Matthews Finance Office. 

Upon approval by the Finance Office, peddlers and solicitors/canvassers may only sell goods or merchandise during the hours of 9 a.m. - 9 p.m., Monday - Saturday. All other times are prohibited. The license must be carried by the peddler or solicitor at all times while they are engaged in peddling or soliciting/canvassing.

The license period for peddlers and solicitors shall be effective during the fiscal year. The license period for itinerant merchants shall be for one year immediately following the issuance of the privilege license for the specified location on the license. If the said itinerant merchant moves to a new location the license will be void and a new application and license is required.

The following rules and regulations should be adhered to:

  • Those peddling or soliciting in door-to-door sales, whether it is residential or commercial sales must be invited to sell their wares by the owners or occupants of the property.

  • "No Soliciting" signs on property must be obeyed.

  • No peddler or solicitor/canvasser shall obstruct any street, alley, sidewalk or driveway without first obtaining the permission of the property owner or person in lawful possession of the property to do so.

  • No peddler or solicitor shall engage in peddling or soliciting on any public street, alley, parking lot or other public place after having been requested to desist by any law enforcement officer employed the Town.

  • No peddler or solicitor shall shout or cry out to sell his wares, goods or merchandise, nor blow any horns or use any other similar device to attract the attention of the public.

Please be aware that it is a class 3 misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200 for a person to:

  1. Fail to obtain a license as required by this Article.

  2. Knowingly give false information in the application process.

  3. If a person fails to produce his privilege license later produces in Court a valid license which has been issued prior to the time the person has been charged with such violation, such person shall be found not guilty of the violation of conducting business under this Article without first obtaining a privilege license.

For more information contact Lindsey Wiggs, at 704-708-1238 or email.