Garbage/Recycling/Yard Waste


The Town of Matthews has a Residential "roll-out" cart program for both garbage and recycling.

All single family households are provided with two carts, a blue garbage cart (some of the oldest ones may still be green) and a green recycling cart. The carts are 96 gallons and should hold a normal families waste between collections. Garbage collection is weekly. Recycling collection is every other week.

There is no charge for the first cart. A second recycling cart is available for a one-time charge of $40.

Cart wheels should face your home, and carts should be  at least three feet apart from mailboxes, posts and each other to allow for mechanical collection.

Recycling Information Brochure

2015-2016 Recycling Calendar

Residential Garbage

The Town of Matthews contracts with Republic Services/Allied Waste for garbage/recycling service for residents and small businesses. Garbage and recycling are picked up from your home or small business. Yard waste service is for homeowners only and is picked up once a week on your scheduled garbage  day. 

 2015 Garbage/Holiday Schedule


If your container needs to be replaced due to damage, call us at 704-708-1240 or e-mail for a replacement. Residents are responsible for cleaning the interior of their containers.

Containers should be at the curb by 6:30 AM on your scheduled service day and off the curb by the end of the day. The wheels on your cart should face your home. Please do not place containers on the sidewalk or in the street.Garbage should be bagged and tied before placing inside your roll out container. Overflow garbage should be bagged and placed next to the cart. Large cardboard boxes need to be broken down flat, tied and placed beside your container. Overflow and bulk garbage will not be picked up by the automated truck, but will be picked up by an additional truck that follows that automated truck. No yard waste is allowed in garbage because North Carolina law prohibits yard waste in landfills.

Bulky Waste & White Goods. Special pick up for white goods and bulky items, such as stoves, refrigerators, water heaters, mattresses, carpet (must be rolled and tied) and furniture can be scheduled by calling 704-393-6900.

Matthews is a member of the Mecklenburg County Solid Waste System. The county operates Landfills/Recycling Centers, where items can be taken such as hazardous waste, building materials, lumber, fencing, metal objects (grills, lawn mowers, etc.), oil, cooking oil, batteries, tires, paint and other things not allowed in your normal garbage and recycling.

The following are links to the Foxhole Waste and Recycling Center and the Hickory Grove Waste and Recycling Center:

Hickory Center

Foxhole Center 

There are also private firms that will take this material.

Residential Recycling

Recycling should be put in your recycling cart and placed at the curb. Recycling is collected on your regular garbage day but every other week.Overflow recycling should be placed in a clear bag next to the recycling cart.

If your container needs to be replaced due to damage or if you need an additional recycling cart, call us at 704-708-1240 or e-mail.

Acceptable Items for Recycling are #1 or #2 plastic milk jugs, drink bottles, liquid detergent, soap and bleach containers; plus aluminum and steel cans, and clear, brown and green glass containers.  Plastic lids can now be recycled if they are firmly attached to a plastic container. All food and other residue should be washed out. Cardboard can be recycled and should be cut into squares no larger than 3' by 3'.  Paper items such as junk mail, newspapers and inserts, office paper, magazines and telephone books can also be recycled. All plastic containers except #6; rigid plastics such as toys, litter boxes and buckets, empty aerosol cans, cartons and juice boxes, flattened cardboard, aluminum, glass, tin/steel cans, telephone books and pizza boxes can be recycled.

Non-acceptable Recycling Items are #6 plastic containers, plastic bags, shredded paper, plastic food trays and cups, ceramics, pots & pans, glassware, paper plates, napkins, batteries, light bulbs, wire hangers, clamshells or Styrofoam.  No hazardous or commercial medical waste may be put in the recycling containers.

Why not food containers (except pizza boxes)?  Foil, grease, paint, plastic or oil on food boxes or paper show up farther down the paper-making process, causing a defect that's an "oily" spot on newly formed paper.  These spots don't print or glue properly and cause stains on the paper.  This causes the new paper to be rejected and ultimately end up in the garbage. (source: Anoka Co., Minn. Integrated Waste Management Dept.)

For more information on Mecklenburg County Recycling, please click here or see their website.

Click for videos on recycling.

Looking for fun ways to teach children about recycling? Visit

Yard Waste

Yard waste includes brush, tree and shrub trimming, leaves and grass trimmings. Leaves and grass clippings must be bagged in clear bags or other bags left open so the driver can see the contents. Bags must weigh less than 50 pounds each, with a 20 bag limit per week. (Drivers can spend no more than 20 minutes per home collecting yard waste)

Branches must be cut in lengths of six feet or less and can be no larger than five inches in diameter. Stack limbs in small enough piles that an individual is able to handle. Do not leave bagged yard waste or limbs and branches blocking the sidewalk or in the street.

We cannot pick up dirt, rocks, building materials or any debris from a contractor such as material generated by tree maintenance or landscape contractors as defined by section 50A.01 of the Town code. Residents must require their contractors to remove all debris.

Items Banned by Law in NC Landfills That We Can No Longer Accept (Must Be Recycled)

Electronics (tvs, computers, printers, scanners)
Used Motor Oil/Filters
Scrap Tires
White Goods
Aluminum Cans
Lead Acid Batteries
Oyster Shells
Plastic Bottles
Wooden Pallets
Beverage Containers from ABC Permitted Facilities
Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Thermostats Containing Mercury

Please take these to a Mecklenburg County Recycling Center. Computers and other electronics, such as TVs, DVD players, computer monitors, audio and video cables, cellular telephones, etc. can also be taken to Best Buy at Sycamore Commons to be recycled.  Map

Computers and other electronics are also accepted at the Goodwill Store at Plantation Market, near the Siskey YMCA.  Map

In addition to the county sites, motor oil, oil filters and car batteries can also be taken to Advanced Auto Parts or Pep Boys on Independence Boulevard (or any other location).

Adverse weather plan for Town of Matthews Solid Waste & Recycling