The safety of our community is our top priority and the Town of Matthews is actively working on precautionary measures in response to the emerging and rapidly changing situation with Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Matthews, NC - The safety of our community is our top priority and the Town of Matthews is actively working on precautionary measures in response to the emerging and rapidly changing situation with Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Following guidance from Governor Roy Cooper, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and the Mecklenburg County Health Department, the Town of Matthews will take the following precautions effective at 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, March 17.
Town Events & Activities
- All Town sponsored events, activities, and programming are canceled through May 8. Reinstatement after May 8 will be assessed closer to that date. This includes:
- All Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources-sponsored events and programming. If you have pre-registered for a canceled event, you will be contacted directly with more information about a refund or rescheduling of the program.
- All events hosted by the Matthews Police Department, including Car Seat Clinics, drop-in car seat checks, department tours, Bike Safe class, ride-alongs, and community meetings.
- All Matthews Fire & EMS station tours, presentations, and community events.
- All Town buildings including Matthews Town Hall, the Matthews Community Center, Crews Recreation Center, and the McDowell Arts Center are closed to the public until further notice.
- Town operations related to Administration, Planning & Zoning, Finance, Human Resources, Public Works, and Parks & Recreation will continue but with reduced in-person capacity. If you have a need, please continue to reach out to the appropriate department for service. Contact information for these departments can be found at www.matthewsnc.gov or by calling 704-847-4411.
- At this time, all Town of Matthews parks will remain open but no outdoor facility rentals (picnic shelters) will be allowed.
Board of Commissioners and Advisory Board Meetings
- The Town Board meeting scheduled for Monday, March 23 has been canceled.
- The Town Board meeting scheduled for Monday, April 13 is currently planned but may be reassessed as that date nears.
- All Town Advisory Board meetings are canceled at least through May 8.
First Responders Prepared to Continue to Serve
- First responders remain ready to serve the community.
- Public safety personnel have implemented the recommended procedures and protocols to handle the COVID-19 crisis.
- Several surrounding agencies, along with the Matthews Police Department and Matthews Fire & EMS, have a contingency partnership plan in place for personnel to have the ability to assist an outside agency if staffing becomes an issue due to quarantine or confirmed exposure.
- If you have an emergency, continue to call 911.
- If you need to reach police services for a non-emergency, please call 704-847-5555.
Additionally, the Matthews Visitor’s Center and caboose will be closed until further notice. The Matthews Chamber of Commerce will continue their operations out of the Visitor’s Center but the building will be closed to the public.
Residents are encouraged to follow advice from public health officials and medical professionals. For more information, please visit Mecklenburg County's online information center: https://www.mecknc.gov/news/Pages/Update-on-Novel-Coronavirus.aspx or call the Mecklenburg County Public Health Hotline at 980-314-9400.
As this is a rapidly changing situation, the Town will continue to assess how to best meet the needs of our community while following expert advice, including that from healthcare officials, emergency management, and other government agencies.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call Matthews Town Hall at 704-847-4411 or email [email protected].